Monday, March 12, 2007

In the nick

While researching materials for a presentation, one of the ideas that became clear to me, was the idea of planning.

This is not, admittedly, anything new. In fact, I had been counseled to start planning things ever since I've begun working with other people, and one of those people was my possible future F.I.L. It was one of the points that I have not spent a great deal of time on, and is thus one of my weaknesses. And so I write these words, in case I later come to this point and wish to remain focused, while desiring to append to the words stated here.

To be brief - as I was hurriedly trying to collect my thoughts on a topic I know very little about (why to choose Microsoft Windows over other Operating Systems) I realized that, much like any other procrastinatory event in my life, this would have been a great deal easier with forethought, planning, and patience. And so I ask you, dear Lord, to help this be that one point where I finally learn this lesson!

With that as my given, let the following text files in this directory outline my specific goals and include a breakdown of their accomplishment.
They should include:
  • The goal (Header)
  • this goal should be able to be defined in a single sentence or image
  • If it is more complicated, there is undoubtedly a different goal I am persuing
  • It should be defined in as visual a means as possible
  • It also means that I should either focus on the actual goal (by rewording the work)
    • OR
  • Redefine this goal more inline with what I'm trying to accomplish
  • Quality (Sub-Header)
  • This section has been the most difficult, and should be the second finished immediately after the goal
  • It should be a powerful emotional reason for completing the goal
  • It can contain what I hope to accomplish, why I care about the goal, or anything in those categories
  • As an alternative, if this goal is actually a subgoal to something else, can tie in to that goal.
  • Regardless, this section needs to be filled out.
  • Can/should be updated with more information.
  • The critical path (Column 1)
  • This should be comprised of a set of steps, from where I am, to the accomplishing of the goal
  • It should allow me to see the goal quickly and clearly
  • The goal is the details, but the steps
  • The timeline (Column 2)
  • Each step should be given a duration for accomplishing
  • The duration of each step should be understood to be a guideline
  • Each step's duration should be updated when better information is available
  • Unless the step's duration is updated, the goal should be to accomplish each step in the time alloted
  • Changes to the time line should be included in the document
  • The resources (Column 3)
  • It is an assumption, but one of the things goals tend to require is resources
  • If some steps on the critical path can be done in unison, you would reference that here.
  • There should be a separate place where resources external to myself should be listed
  • In this way, necessary resources that bridge critical path steps can be measured, observed, and accounted
  • Metrics (Column 4)
  • The critical path should be updated regularly
  • Updates can be minor or major, but focus should be maintained to ensure the goal is accomplished
  • There should be some sort of means to observe progress
  • This might be percentages of completion per day or some other method

No comments: