Tuesday, March 13, 2007

For want of a map, the army was lost - or - without vision, the people perish

On a personal note, I should really like to be on the development side / software life cycle of a time-management tool. I find I learn a great deal about a subject when I have to write code for it - predominantly because I am forced to consider the pros and cons of various aspects of said topic.

In addition, the capacity that comes with being able to provide pointed and practical enhancements to an existing application is amazing - it is freeing. Much like being able to have a vote in a country you live in, it gives you the feeling that you have a choice in what tools are available, instead of hoping someone has developed the tool already.

In short, regardless if its an existing application, or one I design myself, I should really like to design, or have access to the design, of some sort of time-management system that is so intuitive that those who don't normally use such calendars enjoy using it.

I think a powerful first brain-storming step would revolve around determining exactly what it is about people that don't organize - determine if there are any kinds of commonality to what inhibits their ability to organize.

Imagine a program so intuitive, and fun to use, that the user mentally shifted gears to accommodate the assumption that the application was necessary for accomplishing tasks?

No comments: