Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Foot Washing

Foot washing is an interesting concept to me and one I’m not sure I completely “get.” Some people are moved to tears as they perform this act for another, but, personally, I’m not sure what’s so special about it. Perhaps I am not looking at this act in the correct way or with the right mindset…

Foot washing was one of the last things Jesus did before he died. After the Last Supper was eaten, he got up, removed all his clothing and replaced it with just a towel, and took a bowl of water. He washed all his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he was wearing.

Peter’s attitude was initially a lot like mine; Don’t wash my feet! In response to Jesus’ “If I don’t wash them, you have no part of me.” Peter requested that not only his feet, but also his hands and head be included. As he finished, he told his disciples that he had given them an example of what they should do.

I think some believe this mandate applies to the actual act of foot washing. It is true, Jesus did tell the disciples that if he, the Son of God, had washed their feet, they should not hesitate to wash each others in like manner… the manner of a servant.

It seems to me that his point was to serve each other, especially those who are higher up. We are not to be separated by the ranks of prestige or power, but are to look to stoop as low as we can in service to each other, no matter how menial the service.

Jesus said, “I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if you do them.”

While I see no problem with foot washing, I do have a caution about placing it in such high estimation. It seems to me Jesus used the example, not the mandate, of foot washing to convey how we are to humble and submit ourselves one to another; the greatest of all serving the least of all.

Again, I could be wrong… maybe I just haven’t hit the right spot in my relationship with God for this to mean as much to me as it does to others. I’m not against foot washing, just cautious at making it such a big deal.